Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Life jingalala hogayi!!


Marketing is a social and managerial process under which individuals/groups gets whatever they want by creating exchange of products/services/ideas of value with others. Phew!! That was quite a long definition. Don’t you worry this is not really a preview to the marketing paper of final year B.Com (hons), I am not as unfeeling as to do that (But hey kudos to all of us who write all that and to our teachers who correct all that!!)

Okay now this is going somewhere else, so I wanted to tell about my tryst with the marketing strategies of TATA Sky, am sure any of you subscribers of direct to home services must have gone through the same stage!

The first signs of change occur when you are watching TV, the transmission goes bad and Shah Rukh comes in a very distorted image and says “Aap santushth kyun hai, thoda wish karo, dish karo” That ad made a lot of impact but I didn’t like Shah Rukh so didn’t bother about that.

Then came in this ad of TATA Sky, promising me digital video and all my favourite channels. These guys had flooded the TV with their ads and done a great job. Now they got me convinced!!(doesn’t take long in such matters, ha-ha) the onus lay on me now, I had to convince my parents…Hmmm that was difficult but TATA Sky made it all easy, the service would be useful to my grandparents who could watch their bhajans and keertans, to my young cousins who could learn while having fun, to my mother who could enjoy her daily shows, to my father who could get all the news channels in India! As you can imagine the justification included everyone but me!!

I believe I marketed my need very well because then TATA Sky was purchased and the installation day did come. The D - day was on 08.08.08, the first thing we all watched on TV was the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony on Doordarshan, a free to air channel, what an irony!! But then by now the entire family was a victim of the marketing and we all agreed on the digital quality of Doordarshan!! And then on that fateful day Hyderabad sunk in the heavy rain and our TATA Sky signal did go off for an hour! Supposedly satellite TV’s all over the world don’t work in storms and heavy rain, now as you must have gathered, all that was in fine print, in their brochure.

But it has been a great experience till now, great marketing, guys!! Isko laga dala toh life jingalala!! (I swear I wasn’t paid by TATA Sky for this write up, ha-ha)

1 comment:

Razzer said...

TATA SKY DEFINATELY paid u to write this.
Damn the buggers.
hahaa
Anand. :-)